Very soon, the last Sunday of September to be precise, we celebrate International Rabbit Day.
Why do we celebrate International Rabbit Day?
Unfortunately, there are currently no regulations to protect rabbits. It is precisely for this reason that the House Rabbit Society, a US non-profit organisation that rescues and adopts rabbits, as well as educating on their care, has called for a day dedicated to these cute animals. The aim is to make people aware of the importance of the species, while respecting their peculiarities.
They want to expose all mistreatments that rabbits suffer, such as hunting, intensive farming, killing for food, medical experimentation, cosmetic testing and fur farming.
The International Rabbit Day does not go unnoticed in Italy either. In fact, various bodies and organizations host many events that encourage people to love these little animals. In addition, it is also a way of making as many people as possible aware of the possibility to adopt a rabbit.
Why adopting a rabbit as a pet?
1. They are perfect for al those pet-parents who do not have time for daily walks but still wish to have company in the house.
2. Rabbits have their own very simple routine similar to that of humans. In fact, they are most active at dawn and dusk, that is when most pet-parents are at home and can take care of them.
3. Rabbits are very funny pets: they love to romp around and make very funny expressions and poses.
4. Rabbits live a long life if they are fed an appropriate diet: they can live up to 10-12 years.
5. Rabbits are brave and with a little training can become very cooperative.
6. They are good listeners and above all they love to cuddle.
Here are the reasons why we should adopt a bunny.
And you, how will you celebrate International Rabbit Day?